Re: Postilion's Graphic Files Copyright

On 05-Feb-99 Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> Now this is were the plot thickens. WPrefs.app carries this README:
>
>  This is the new set of icons for WPrefs.app.
>  These icons are NOT GPL. You are not allowed to use these icons
>  for anything except WPrefs.app. It's also prohibited to
>  redistribute this set apart from the WindowMaker source tree.
>
>  All graphics are copyright 1998,1999 by Marco van Hylckama Vlieg
>
>          (marco@windowmaker.org)
>
> (this showed up in 0.50.1, I think. It's not in 0.20.3)

> * Move wmaker to non-free (please, no!)
Please, no!  I just started using this one, too -- and I like it!

> * Remove the icons from the tarball (WPrefs will continue to work without
>   them)
For temporary purposes, I'd take this route since WPrefs will continue to
work... and if you know someone graphicly inclined (or capture from something
that is Free) replace them with free icons.

> * Change Marco's copyright
Best, of course.

> A fourth option (which I dislike because it's very treacherous) is to call
> the GPL into play.  I'm sure that statement is not compatible with the GPL,
> is it?
A fifth option (maybe) is to package wmaker w/o WPrefs... put WPrefs in
non-free?  (at least temporarily)??

The best course, of course, is to start dialog with the two other people
involved.  Let Alfredo know that you can't use WPrefs with the current icons
with the current license.  If the license changes, you'll have to remove/change
the icons to keep WPrefs and/or wmaker in Debian -- could he please help...
ditto for Marcos...

> Now my question: doesn't this fall into the same messy kind of problem as
> documentation does? Does it have to follow the DFSG point by point? (Think
> 'modifications' please)

My take, after spending last night researching the discussions on the topic in
the Lists Archives (for the Draft DFSG) is that under the current DFSG, you
could (probably) put this package (and postilion, too) into main.  The current
DFSG applies to executable software.  However, many people feel that this is an
oversight and it will be addressed in the next revision.  It's not clear how
that could play out but I'd put my money on packages with graphics and
documentation licensed like Postilion and WPrefs.app will be made non-free.