Re: What is the licence of Debian-specific files (Was: Intent to package "vibrant" graphical library

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 10:17:06PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 11:18:54AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> >
> > > If I got it as "public domain" (that is, "do whatever you want
> > > with this") then that is not relicensing.  He said "do whatever
> > > you want with this" so I did.
> >
> > "anything" includes the action of re-licensing. i.e. he is
> > explicitly allowed to re-license it under whatever terms he chooses.
>
> No it doesn't.
>
> You cannot relicense anything, unless it is your copyright.

you can re-license public domain stuff as there is no copyright, i.e.
there is NOTHING which prevents you from doing so.

as i've mentioned a few times, however, your new license only affects
your version...the original is still public domain.

> The reason that a software author grants a license is that otherwise
> his software cannot be copied ('copyright').  To copy a work, you need
> the permission of the copyright holder, and only the copyright holder.

there is no copyright or license for public domain stuff. you can do
*anything* you want with it.

craig

--
craig sanders