Re: What is the licence of Debian-specific files (Was: Intent to package "vibrant" graphical library

Craig Sanders writes:
> "anything" includes the action of re-licensing. i.e. he is explicitly
> allowed to re-license it under whatever terms he chooses.

Only original creative work is copyrighted.  If all you have is a copy you
have nothing to license.

> similarly, if some company bought the data and included it in a product
> under their own license, they would have every right to sue you if you
> illegally extracted data from it.

Only if they got me to assent to a *contract* in which I agreed not to do
so.  That is a matter of contract law, not copyright.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)