Re: open source trademark

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

   Brian Ristuccia writes:
   > http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,1014005,00.html

   > If SPI still owns this mark, someone needs to send Sun Microsystems a
   > cease-and-desist before we lose it.

   I see no evidence of infringement of the Open Source mark at that URL.

Brian is probably referring to this quote from Sun VP Jim Mitchell:

   "Those companies were playing the Community Source game already,"
   Mitchell said. "When you license Jini and return changes, you're
   not giving them to Sun, you're giving them to the Jini
   community. Sun has no special rights to them that I'm aware of. The
   real value of open source is that innovation springs up all
   around. Programmers have a very natural tendency to make things
   better for the whole community, and we want to tap into that."

However, I see that as a comparison to open source, not a claim that
their Community Source license is an open source license.