Re: XFCE copyright

This would be my take... based on an assumption that fvwm has a free
license so the code taken from that is also free...

On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 06:55:39PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
>   THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
>   EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES
>   OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
>   NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR (O. FOURDAN) BE
>   LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN
>   ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
>   CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
>   SOFTWARE.
disclaimers are allowed

>   Some part of the code, especially the routines that deal with FVWM are
>   mostly taken from Rob NATION's code of FVWM;
>   So here comes his copyright notice :
>
>  ***************************************************************************
>  * ... the concept for interfacing this module to the Window Manager, are  *
>  * all original work by Robert Nation                                      *
>  *                                                                         *
>  * Copyright 1994, Robert Nation. No guarantees or warantees or anything   *
>  * are provided or implied in any way whatsoever. Use this program at your *
>  * own risk. Permission to use this program for any purpose is given,      *
>  * as long as the copyright is kept intact.                                *
>  ***************************************************************************
The code comes from fvwm so it's free...

>  The icons provided with XFCE version 1.2.5 are from :
>
>           Joerg Mertin <smurphy@stardust.bln.sub.org>
>           Better use:  <joerg@pc50.zrz.tu-berlin.de> (faster)
No explicit license on the logos so that'd make them non-free...

>  Some XPM functions are from DFM, (c) 1997 by Achim Kaiser
I have no idea what DFM's copyright is but if they're GPL or BSD then it'd
be free.

>  Regarding XFCE, permissions to use, copy and distribute this software
>  without fee is hereby granted. You can modify this program for your own use as
>  long as you do not redistribute it, unless you clearly specify original name
>  (XFCE) and author (Olivier Fourdan, fourdan@csi.com) and keep original
>  copyright intact.
All BSD code and origanal code is covered here.  We have permission to
modify and distribute.  We allow the requirement to keep original
copyrights intact.  I think the current trend, however, is to reject the
"without fee" clause as non-free.

So one (logo license) possibly two ("without fee") strikes against Freeness