Re: Corel's apt frontend

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 10:29:36AM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Surely you can see that is circular. To paraphrase, "The program is the
> program or a derivative work of the program". There is no definition there,
> unless you consider "A rose is a rose" to be a definition.

That's what the GPL says.

I admit that the definition of a computer program from chapter 1 of
17 USC makes it clearer.

> > The act of running the Program is not restricted

> This is going to make it extremely difficult to convince anyone that
> the act of running th program through its intended interface, or
> packaging the program with a work that runs it through its intended
> interface, can possibly create a derived work.

I've already addressed this point: running the program didn't create
the derived work -- authoring (and distributing) the program did.

Running the program just illustrates the nature of the program.

--
Raul