Message for Ian

I sent these two messages to Ian.  I am sending them to him through
this list, because mail I send him directly always bounces.

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:32:27 -0700 (MST)
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
To: ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk
Subject: Re: Corel's apt frontend where apt is a frontend to dpkg (GPL'd)

    You've noticed the discussion on debian-legal, obviously.

I am not on that list; someone cc'd or forwarded me a message.

     It has come to my attention that you may be distributing dpkg as part
     of a work as a whole, which consists of an application of your own, Qt
     (a widget library from Troll), lib-apt (a frontend library from the
     Debian Project), and dpkg,

My interpretation of the GPL is that exec'ing a program using its
normal interface doesn't make a larger combined program.
So I think this does not violate the GPL.