Re: Open Content Licence is non-free?

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 04:34:05PM -0700, David Wiley wrote:
> I have been hoping to update the original OpenContent license for sometime, if I
> could ever get a dialog going about its strengths and weaknesses... What specific
> suggestions do you (and everyone else) have?

My suggestion is to drop all the language that restricts distribution for
pay.  There's nothing wrong with making money off distributing Open
Content, as long as the recipients are free to do with it as they wish.
The openness of the Content is guaranteed by the freedom of the recipients
to distribute it further.

You may want to strengthen the language in paragraph 2b, to make clear
that this license "to all third parties" cannot be circumvented by
making non-disclosure agreements with each recipient.  The GPL has this
in paragraph 6.

I note that this free-of-charge license to all third parties, in
paragraph 2b, already does what (I think) you mean with the phrase
"You may not charge for the OC itself" in paragraph 1.

> http://www.opencontent.org/opl.shtml

This is indeed the version I'm looking at.

Richard Braakman