Re: GPL source vs. binary

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999, Darren O. Benham wrote:
> Does a source that's licensed under the GPL automaticly produce a binary
> that can only be licensed under the GPL?

Since a compilation is a translation into machine language, then the
resulting binary can be considered a derivative of the Program, according
to the GPL's section 0 (if I didn't miss anything there - IANAL).

Thus I think it can only be licensed under the GPL, unless of course the
author decides to release it under another license as well.

Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam@via.ecp.fr> - http://www.via.ecp.fr/~sam/
echo "what is the universe"|tr "a-z " 0-7-0-729|sed 's/9.//g;s/-/+/'|bc