Re: VMware in non-free

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 02:00:25PM +0200, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> > 	Please have a look at http://www.vmware.com/ and help me
> > 	decide if we can distribute VMware in non-free, or only as an
> > 	installer package. I currently think we can only do an
> > 	installer..
>
> I can't find on the VMware site any permission to distribute anything,
> so that'll give us only the option of an installer.  Of course, you
> could mail them and ask for distribution permission - if you get it,
> this would be enough to allow it to go to non-free.

Maybe you'll get them to allow distribution, but I suspect everybody would
still need their own license. You can either get a free license for 30
days at their web site[1], or you can buy a license. I doubt this will
change, so any copy of VMware in Debian will be non-functional until you
get your own license. VMware does _not_ work without a valid license file.

Remco

[1] After those 30 days, you can just as easily get another free 30-day
license, and another, and another, etc., etc., until the VMware company
stops giving away free licenses.
--
rd1936:  8:50pm  up 16 days,  9:14,  6 users,  load average: 2.05, 1.59, 1.61