 From: "Tim Peters" <tim_one@email.msn.com>
 To: <python-list@python.org>
 Subject: RE: Questions for Tim Peters
 Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 02:12:02 -0400
 Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

[Much snipped, read the entire article.
 Again, what CNRI actually believes is unknown.]

    Ah, there's more here than meets the eye.
    CWI gave Guido certain broad rights to
    Python when Guido left CWI, and Guido
    signed those rights over to CNRI.  AFAIK,
    those documents are not publicly
    available, and I only know about them
    because Guido happened to tell me the
    other day.  Guido has no doubts
    whatsoever about CNRI's legal right
    to license Python however they please,
    and neither does his legal counsel.  The
    only thing in dispute here is whether
    *other* parties can rely on what the CWI
    license appears to tell them.  At least
    three different lawyers so far had at
    least three different opinions about that.
    Beats me.