Re: OpenSSL and GPLed programs

    Anthony> Note that the exception for stuff "distributed
    Anthony> with the major components of the operating system"
    Anthony> doesn't apply if we distribute both the executable and
    Anthony> the libarary in Debian.  It probably does apply for
    Anthony> third-parties, though, fwiw.

I don't follow your reasoning here, possibly because you are
summarizing a past discussion that happened long before I started
reading this list.  I don't propose that Debian use or attempt to use
the OS exception--I think it would go against much of what we stand
for.  However, I'm curious and would like to understand why we
couldn't use this if we were so enclined.