libcgicg1

Hi,
sorry to bother you all with my annoying question, but I hope someone
of you may help me with a quite simple thing.

I'm writing about the libcgicg1 and libcgicg1-dev libaries.
On the author's site (and in the copyright notes too) there is a restrictive
license: I can use it wherever I want IF I include a credits note.
And if I'd like not to include the note I have to buy the license.
If I look in Debian distribution, however, I find the package under the
free set of packages (main).
So here's my question:
Is still valid the author's request? Or is in conflict with debian
free-software guidelines?

Please help me in solving this doubt.
Thanks.

sincerely,