Re: lookandfeel General Public License (LAFGPL)

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:29:19AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> | You can use the GPL terms (possibly modified) in another license
> | provided that you call your license by another name and do not include
> | the GPL preamble, [...]
>
> But the preamble (or a derivative) is included in this case.

Oops, there's the contradicting FAQ entry:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOmitPreamble

"The preamble and instructions are integral parts of the GNU GPL and may
not be omitted. In fact, the GPL is copyrighted, and its license permits
only verbatim copying of the entire GPL. (You can use the legal terms to
make another license but it won't be the GNU GPL.)"

I think the FSF's response was essentially that the first says "you can
make a license that's not the 'GNU GPL' using the GNU GPL's terms, just
remove the preamble", and the second says "if you use our license and call
it the 'GNU GPL' you must include the preemable".  That would mean that you
can, in fact, remove the preamble, as long as you also rename the license
(to, say, the "LAFGPL").

Not a very well-written FAQ entry.

--
Glenn Maynard