Re: word lists

On 01/02/14 06:07, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>   (1) What happens with the copyright of works if I extract
>       information as explained in my previous mail?
>   (2) What copyright can a word list have at all, given that it gets
>       mechanically extracted? [...]

I think you'd have to ask a qualified lawyer to get a good answer for these.

>   (3) The frequency of words is a statistical information, a byproduct
>       of collecting the data mechanically, without any manual
>       intervention.  Can such information be copyrighted, too?

I'm not sure that it can, but in the EU there's something rather similar
for non-creative collections of data:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right

>   (3) What license do you recommend for a list of German words (as in
>       our project) enriched with information on weighted hyphenation
>       points?  Contrary to (2) and (3), we enter our information
>       manually, however, it's just describing inherent properties of
>       German words.

How do you want to license it? Copyleft or permissive?

If you're happy with a permissive license, I would personally suggest
the CC0 public-domain dedication, which specifically relinquishes
database rights as well as copyright:

https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode