Re: Debian and the Vinay Sajip License

> 1. I don't believe dictconfig is shipped separately - it's part of
> logutils.

Okay, thanks, I didn't realise that.

> 2. Since 0.3.3, logutils uses what I believe is a standard 3-clause BSD
> - see the LICENSE.txt [1].

That's good. The package maintainers will just need to update to use the
new module, then.

> 3. The Python standard library logging module is covered by the Python
> license, so I don't believe it needs relicensing.

As far as I can tell, the Python standard library logging module is
covered by the Python license *and* the Vinay Sajip license - on
Python's licensing page [1], they have a long list of "Licenses and
Acknowledgements for Incorporated Software".

(Perhaps someone else from -legal can confirm this?)

> 4. The original logging module (pre inclusion in Python 2.3) is unlikely
> ever to see another release, since AFAIK later versions of Python now
> ship on Debian and its derivatives.

It seems that xen still uses the original logging module:
http://sources.debian.net/src/xen/4.4.0-4/tools/python/logging/logging-0.4.9.2/setup.py/?hl=12#L12