My thoughts for Document collaboration, indexing, and versioning.

So what are everyone's thoughts on document management? My ideas so far
have been to see if I couldn't get Subversion and Swish-e to play nice; so
that I could have an indexed, serchable, versioned, collaberative document
management system. I tried using OpenOffice.org and exporting to xml or
docbook to try to get the auto-merging of non-conflicting changes, but it
doesn't always work. (the current merge/diff system goes line-by-line
only.) Anyone know of a good xml/docbook diff/merge program? Also, what
does everyone think about Docbook vs. Lyx/LaTeX?