How does lintian detect the presence of static libs?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am currently working on a program for Debian and have been using lintian to improve our .deb packages. We use a modified version of the tinyxml library, which is statically-linked. As such, lintian's been giving us errors such as:
E: indiecity-client: embedded-library usr/bin/indiecity-client: tinyxml
This is understandable. However, we've renamed the statically-linked custom tinyxml to 'icxml', to make it clear that this is not the same library, but the error persists verbatim. I understand that the lintian page for this tag reads "If the package uses a modified version of the given library it is highly recommended to coordinate with the library's maintainer to include the changes on the system version of the library.", however I'm afraid that isn't appropriate in this case and our (perhaps mistaken) belief was that changing the name would mitigate against this.

I've checked our package and source files, and the only references to tinyxml seem to be that the headers we include retain the same name (e.g. "tinyxml.h"). I was wondering if this alone was sufficient to activate the embedded-library tag. I've tried researching it and enabling debug output in lintian, but this doesn't seem to be shedding much light on the situation, unfortunately.

I was wondering if you could please advise me on how lintian detects a static library being used and how we can convince this mechanism that our lib is significantly different, or if an override is appropriate in this case.

Thanks very much indeed for your time,
~Richard Williams

Blitz Games Studios Limited is registered in England (company no: 2482913) with registered office at Regent Square House, The Parade, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4NL, UK. This message is intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error please send it back to us and immediately and permanently delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment. Please also note that transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.