Re: Why are the Squeeze images so much larger?

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 09:34:05AM +0100, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ben Armstrong wrote (08 Feb 2011 12:26:43 GMT) :
> > In conclusion, I'm not at this time interested in spearheading such
> > an optimization effort, but as I said, I would welcome additions
> > into the Examples section of the manual, provided the example is
> > carefully thought out.
>
> We T(A)ILS developers have decided to try to stick to regular CD
> (700MB) images for the time we build against Squeeze. This is likely
> to be a bit hard.
>
> Here are some tricks we've started to use:

<snip>

Not that I'm interested in performing such a task, but I think a
suitable "small size" live cd would include the basic gnome gui (not
sure what it's called in squeeze), network manager, synaptic, software
center, and not much else.  This would provide users with a (hopefully)
familiar gui, and the opportunity to easily install additional software.

Of course if the goal is to have a demo cd, then you'd want to carefully
pick additional software to include.  But I think a lot of people would
be happy with what I described above.

-Rob