Re: Bug: config/apt/preferences ignored

On 20/08/2013 11:59, Ben Armstrong wrote:
On 20/08/13 05:25 AM, Robert Spencer wrote:
With live-build 3.0.5-1 on squeeze config/apt/preferences is ignored.

On squeeze? May I ask why you're still running a release that is nearly
EOL? It's highly recommended you upgrade to wheezy as very soon you'll
no longer be supported. For that reason, and the others Daniel provided,
there's no point in filing a bug.

Most of our customers are still on squeeze and there's SLA's in place to support them.

I can only upgrade to wheezy on the build system once I have time and proof that it won't break our squeeze builds (it currently builds for squeeze and wheezy).

Also, you did not furnish proof that config/apt/preferences is ignored ...

config/apt/preferences:

Package: cron
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: logrotate
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: rsyslog
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1

cron, logrotate and rsyslog still get installed.

No, that is not proof. Proof would be some apt-cache policy output at
the time those get installed to show that there are no -1 pin priorities
for these packages.

Okay, but in my defense I wasn't filing a bug. I wanted confirmation whether I'd found one.

cron:
  Installed: 3.0pl1-124
  Candidate: 3.0pl1-124
  Package pin: 3.0pl1-124
  Version table:
 *** 3.0pl1-124 -1
        500 http://cdn.idms-linux.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

rsyslog and logrotate are also "-1". So not a bug, just extremely irritating.

Pinning something -1 only prevents installation if nothing directly
depends on or installs these. For example:

hypothetical package 'foo' has Depends: cron and 'foo' is in on of your
package lists. cron will still be installed.

Yes, I understand that.

OR:

'cron' is actually in one of your package lists.

It's not.

I suspect there's some basic system that live-build always sets up and that's installing cron, logrotate and rsyslog.

According to aptitude:

logrotate depends on cron.
rsyslog recommends logrotate.
cron suggests logrotate.

Non are marked as being automatically installed. There are no other dependencies on those packages.

Please always include complete output of commands demonstrating the
problem when you report problems.

Good advice. Thanks.

For now I have a chroot hook that runs:

update-rc.d -f cron remove

So at least cron doesn't run.

What would you say is the right way to get rid of packages you don't want installed?

--
Robert Spencer