Debian-live with (only) serial console

I'm trying to get Debian-live to work with a serial console so I can use it on headless machines.

Reading the various man pages it looks like I should be able to have boot parameters like this:
    ... boot:live live-getty console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 persistent ..... and so on

On the serial console, I can see messages up until
    [ ok ] Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
but I never can get a prompt on the serial console. There is a prompt on a monitor if I plug one in to my test machine, but this doesn't help me. I read some references to altering inittab, but not sure what to edit it to.

It looks like there was a bug reported in late 2010:

Is this still a bug in Wheezy?
begin:vcard
fn:Ryan Neve
n:Neve;Ryan
org:University of North Carolina Insititute of Marine Sciences;Luettich Lab
adr:;;3431 Arendell St;Morehead City;NC;28557;USA
email;internet:neve@email.unc.edu
tel;work:252 726-6841
tel;cell:252 515-0012
x-mozilla-html:TRUE