Re: Kernel panic - Attempted to kill init!

Marc,

On 15/05/15 06:04 PM, Marc F. Clemente wrote:

> My /tmp is just a regular directory.  No tmpfs.  No special mount
> options.

Good.

> I tried re-building in /root, and still no luck.  Any other ideas?
>
> su
> mkdir /root/live
> cd /root/live
> lb clean
> lb config --distribution sid
> lb build

Why did you build sid here and stretch in the previous test you pasted?
We should at least compare apples and apples.

> [    2.548424] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> exitcode=0x00007f00
> [    2.548424]
> [    2.549079] CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: init Not tainted 4.0.0-1-amd64 #1
> Debian 4.0.2-1
> [    2.549430] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996),
> BIOS 1.8.1-20150428_134905-gandalf 04/01/2014

The sid kernel you show here is 4.0.0-1-amd64 which no longer has aufs.
You must use overlayfs (which is not configured by default yet). So
regardless of whether or not this panic relates to that, please stick
with stretch for now (which should be the default).

Also, I did not notice until re-examining your first paste and examining
this one that you're using qemu. Please try booting the image on real
hardware instead.

Please also keep a complete log of your build. We don't know what errors
might have occurred in the build that you are overlooking. It is not
sufficient to simply check if in image is created or not. If vital
components are missing from your build, the image will not boot.

And finally, you did not indicate the exact version of live-build you
are using. Since you said you're using up-to-date packages on unstable,
I assume it's 5.0~a7-1, but you should always include versions of live-*
components when reporting issues.

Ben