Re: Support for both 'normal' and 'live' installer

I've just build a new image with this syntax modification and the installer now recognizes the preseed file and the option to select between a 'live' or 'normal' installation is now included :)

Thank you!

On 2020-04-22 23:14, jnqnfe@gmail.com wrote:
On 2020-04-21 04:49, jnqnfe@gmail.com wrote:
> I have not played with the "live" type installer before, I've only
> ever
> used "cdrom".
>
> From what I can understand from the code and manual, if you choose
> "live" mode, a udeb (debian-installer package) 'live-installer' is
> bundled with the other d-i udeb packages in your image.
>
> With the live-installer udeb present, what then happens is that
> this
> automatically gets run as one of the install steps when running the
> installer.

That was my understanding too. And, in fact a
'live-installer_57_{i386,amd64}.udeb is located in the pool-udeb of
the
generated image.

> However, you can setup a "preseed" file to disable it automatically
> running, with it therefore becoming an optional install step which
> you
> can choose whether or not to run during installation (expert mode
> if
> not also others gives you a list of stages you can manually
> trigger).
> If you choose to execute the live-installer stage then you get a
> "live"
> installation, if you choose to skip it then you get a normal
> installation.
>
> So no, live-build does not create two sets of alternate install
> menu
> entries.
>
> Look into this I can see that the man page is out of date and needs
> fixing. The path it specifies will not be used. I got the below
> correct
> paths from looking at the actual code.
>
> To use this feature, you should:
> 1) write "live-installer/enable=false" (without quotes) into either
> config/preseed/FILE.cfg or config/preseed/FILE.cfg.installer,
> (replacing FILE with whatever filename you want to use).
> 2) for iso|iso-hybrid|hdd images, you must use --debian-installer-
> preseedfile "preseed.cfg".
>
> wrt. that fixed filename for step #2, it must be exactly
> "preseed.cfg"
> trust me, I've determined that from reading the code, it refers to
> the
> filename of the file that actually ends up in your image, which d-i
> needs pointing to, and this file is created by live-build with the
> contents of all of your config preseed files copied into it. There
> are
> some bits of code as well as the manual that need updating to clear
> this up and make it more simple (which I'm adding to my todo list).
> For
> now you must specify exactly that as the filename for that option
> for
> those image types for it to work.

So, I followed your instructions and the final image ended up with a
pressed.cfg in the 'install' folder. The contents of it been the
single
line "live-installer/enable=false" (without quotes). But when trying
install, been a 'normal' or 'expert' installation, I get the
following
warning:

        [!!] Load debconf preconfiguration file

        Failed to process the preconfiguration file

      The installer failed to process the preconfiguration file from
file:///cdrom/install/preseed.cfg. The file may be corrupt.

After that I tried to put "d-i" in front of
"live-installer/enable=false" in the
'config/preseed/FILE.cfg.installer'
hoping that it was a syntax error, but got the same error again
trying
to install.

I tried to diagnose if it was a permission or a 'path' error, but
did
not arrive in any conclusion :-/

Do you have any clue on what may be happening? Or how could I
diagnose
this?

Thank you

Sorry I should have been more clear, I was focussed on figuring out how
to update the instructions per changes in live-build that the manual
and manpage have not kept up with, not so much the correctness of the
formatting of the preseed file content itself, which I did not expect
to likely be wrong.

Doing a little googling into this aspect, I've come across the
following format:

d-i live-installer/enable false

Note the space instead of an equals, and indeed prefixing with "d-i ".

I hope that fixes the problem for you. I'll add it to the todo list as
another fix to be made. :)