Re: Questions regarding lsb-invalid-mta

On Tue, 2013-06-25 at 00:19 -0400, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> All we need to do is...
>
> Depends: default-mta | mail-transport-agent
>
> ...and the right thing happens.
>
> (The "default-mta" package is provided by exim4-daemon-light.)

I'm confused. I want to submit a bug report, but I need to understand
things properly first.

After a fresh install of Wheezy, selecting only the base packages,
desktop environment packages, and print server packages,
exim4-daemon-light is installed by default anyway. Thus, the entire
subject at hand should never really be an issue for Debian users, it
only seems to be a problem for Canonical. Talk about the tail wagging
the dog...

If we get rid of lsb-invalid-mta, and make "default-mta |
mail-transport-agent" a dependency of lsb-core as you say, then people
who have removed exim4 after installation are going to get it installed
for them again, including an active SMTP daemon, when they install
lsb-core. This is fine, however, either one of the following must be
true:

1) The lsb-invalid-mta package description is correct; having an active
SMTP daemon introduces a hideous and unnecessary attack vector, Linux
machines don't belong in server halls anymore, they don't have static IP
addresses, and everyone uses Gmail and Hotmail anyway.

or:

2) Debians default behaviour is correct; having an active SMTP daemon is
sufficiently useful, safe and common that we should install it by
default on all systems.

If 1) is true, then we need a package which provides sendmail without
installing an SMTP daemon. If 2) is true, then your solution mentioned
above is fine. However, they can't both be true.

Thoughts?