Re: End of life for MySQL 5.1

[ CC Florian due to his relationship with RedHat ]

Hi Moritz,

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Possible solutions:
> - End of life for mysql in Debian LTS (but massive reverse deps)

This is not something acceptable. mysql is one of those key packages
that a majority of companies are using. FTR, 85% of the companies
who sponsor LTS through Freexian have mysql-5.1 in their package list
(possibly sometimes only for libmysqlclient16 though).

> - Provide a backport of 5.5 for squeeze-lts (mysql also ships a lib,
>   though)

Yeah, this might mean having to rebuild a lot of packages... a quick
look at reverse dependencies shows about 170 binary packages depending
on libmysqlclient16.

> - Try to backport fixes based on the 5.5.x interdiffs (since Oracle
>   publishes no detailed bug details). Complicated, but could be done
>   in collaboration with Red Hat, RHEL 6 is also based on MySQL 5.1.

Do we have contacts at RedHat to discuss such plans ? Florian ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer