Re: MySQL 5.5 EOL before Debian 8 LTS ends

On 2018-12-27 18:51, Lars Tangvald wrote:

Upgrading to 5.6 would be less risky than MariaDB 10.1, but it's a similar sort of risk.

I don't know what the risk with switching to MariaDB 10.1 would be, but as a general principle, MariaDB lags behind (the already annoyingly delayed) Oracle security patches often days, sometimes weeks.

Based on our experience with a few thousand databases, though, upgrading from 5.5 to 5.6 is as good as invisible for DB users and software using MySQL.

A few users noticed the differences between MySQL 5.5 and MariaDB 10.0 (5.6-based), nearly no-one noticed the upgrade from MariaDB 10.0 to 10.3.

It would be very welcome if upgrade scripts in Debian would substitute configuration options correctly, with the usual dselect option list of "compare, keep current, install package maintainer's" versions.

The risk mostly lies in software relying on the removed features listed in the URL you linked (https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql-nutshell.html#mysql-nutshell-removals).

As a side note, anyone using MySQL WorkBench with MariaDB 10.x or MySQL 5.5 will probably be very annoyed about the version warnings. I expect the current issues with 5.6 compatibility alerts to be fixed. :)
--
Cheers,
Jan