Re: [SECURITY] [DLA 3452-1] thunderbird security update

Hi,

On 12/06/2023 13:35, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
Although unrelated with the security issues above, may I ask something that I noticed for the first time in Thunderbird 102.11.0 (32-bit) that annoys me and what differs from some older versions in the past, as I can remember:  In fact, a right click on a message body (in the message pane, F8) opens the 'Save As ...' option. Then in the new opened window a file name shall be entered. However, it is per default offered to save the message under a rather complex name composed by all of these: Subject-Sender <sender_email> Day Time.eml

And for some reason I get the response: 'Unable to save the message. Please check your file name."

So, after testing different variant of file names, I discovered that the best option is when the name includes only the Subject (and not the rest). It makes me wonder if it would be possible for a user to set it per default, so it would not be needed to shorten the file name each time. (I mean, to configure saving the message under a name that includes only the Subject and nothing else.)

Furthermore, I noticed that message saving under a name that includes some non-alphabet characters, such as colon or like, also tends to fail. And it fails under some Linux versions, but not in Windows ones. What may be a reason for that? Thank you.

It works for me on my ext4 filesystem. However I tested saving to a NTFS filesystem and I got that error message. That's probably a limitation of what characters filenames in NTFS filesystems (or whatever filesystem you're trying to save to) can contain. I suggest filing this issue upstream in order to make the default filename simpler.

Cheers,
Emilio