Re: FLINT 3 transition

On Mon 18 Dec 2023 05:15:41 PM +01, julien.puydt@gmail.com wrote:
Le samedi 16 décembre 2023 à 21:35 +0000, Torrance, Douglas a écrit :
I noticed that lots of math packages are failing to build now that
FLINT 3
is in unstable.  Here's a link to the transition tracker:

https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/auto-flint.html

I figured I'd send a note out to the team to help coordinate our
efforts.

Arb, antic, and calcium are now included in FLINT, so I suppose it
would make
sense to remove these packages, and maybe list libflint-arb-dev,
libantic-dev,
and libcalcium-dev under libflint-dev's "Provides" going forward?

I checked: we can't use Provides: in flint's d/control because it does
provide the include files of those projects, but not in the same
directory. If there were pkgconfig files, perhaps that would have
flown, but that's not the case.

So we need all rdeps of flint to switch to version 3. We can ask for
the removal of flint-arb, antic and calcium as soon as the other
packages in unstable don't depend on them. For calcium, that means now.

For antic, that has to wait until calcium is out, now that I uploaded
an e-antic which doesn't depend on it.

For flint-arb, gyoto and sagemath depend on it so need versions not
depending on it.

I just NMU'ed a new gyoto package that builds against flint instead of
flint-arb, so we're a little closer now.

I guess sagemath is the big remaining task, but it has lots of other issues,
too.  It looks like FLINT 3 will be supported in Sage 10.3.  Has there been any
work on updating Sage recently?  It's at version 9.5 in unstable, uploaded last
February, and was removed from testing in September due to several RC bugs.

Doug