Re: Packaging of FSL for Debian [Update]

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Michael Hanke wrote:

Now for the nasty things:  --> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

Independently of my answer below - just try to educate upstream ...

Now some questions and statements:
1. In my oppinion FSLDIR has to be set to '/usr' and all references to
FSLDIR/etc in the sources have to be 'patched away'. Because there is
no /usr/etc

Well, probably you should move FSL to

    /usr/lib/fsl

Than move all config files to /etc/fsl and do

    ln -s /etc/fsl/<config-file> /usr/lib/fsl/etc/<config-file>

That way you can keep all config files in /etc and go without any
upstream patching.

2. Should all TCL files go to /usr/lib/fsl ?

If it is architecture dependant.  If not move it to

   /usr/share/fsl/tcl  (or whatever the dir name is)

and use also symlinks

   ln -s /usr/share/fsl/tcl /usr/lib/fsl/tcl

You are advised best if you use dh_link for doing this!

3. There is a config script 'fsl.sh' that is required to be sourced before you
can use FSL. How am I supposed to handle that? Include its content
in /etc/profile?

Just use a wrapper script in /usr/bin/fsl (or whatever name) which sets
all necessary things (including sourcing this file if necessary).

4. I would put the medical imaging data to /usr/share/fsl

Yes, do the same symlink stuff.  Alternatively it might make sense to
move everything to /usr/share and only the architecture dependant files to
/usr/lib - decide yourself which is the lowest effort.

I guess this is not the end of my problems, but these are all issues I
discovered so far.

I hope I was able to answer these questions.  Come back if there are any
more.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--