Re: Status of InVesalius packaging (Was: Status of SIGAR (Was: InVesalius packaging))

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:08:54AM -0300, Thiago Franco Moraes wrote:
>>
>> I was in touch with Michael Hanke some months ago about sigar
>> packaging. Acording to him, these were the problems:
>>
>> - build dependency 'ant' seems to be missing
>
> ??
> $ LANG=en apt-cache policy ant | head -n 2
> ant:
>  Installed: 1.8.0-4
>
> Ant is available since ... hmmmm, ages.

Ah, that was my fault. I was only trying to package the java binding,
only tests. I just forget to put ant in dependencies.

>> - changelog doesn't list ITP bug number
>
> You should file a bug report against the virtual WNPP package - just
> tell me if this hint is not enough and you need more detailed
> information.

I filled a bug report here

>> - in debian/control libsigar package has section 'lib' but should be
>>  'libs' or removed
>
> So why not changing to libs?

Michael did that.

>> - there are lots of *.ex files in the dsc (but not in git)
>
> This should be easy to fix. (see below)
>
>> - any reason to use --with-quilt in debian/rules explicitely? If yes,
>>  then quilt build-dep is missing
>
> This should be easy to answer if there is a debian/patches dir.
>
>> - I saw that you build a shared lib of libsigar -- did you talk to
>>  upstream about SO version management yet?
>
> That's a more interesting question.  So did anybody talked to upstream?

About that no. And it something I don't have any knowledgment. I need
some help here.

>> - debian.copyright is still a template
>
> Do you need help to fill in the text into this template?  If yes just
> let us know.

Yes, I need some help. Here
http://forums.hyperic.com/jiveforums/thread.jspa?threadID=9833 I asked
the sigar developers about copyright.

>> - a debclean doesn't clean things properly
>
> This just needs to be checked (Git URL would be helpful).
>
>> I was trying to package the java binding but I wasn't able, so I
>> thought to not package the java binding.
>
> I have no idea whether this binding is actually needed for some purpose.
> If not we might ignore this for the moment.  Otherwise it would be
> interesting to know exactly what the exact problem was what you stopped
> you.

I don't have any experience with java.I don't know what files are
necessaries and how to test if the java sigar bindings is working.

>> But the other problems I
>> haven't seen yet. Michael Hanke created a branch in github to do the
>> sigar packaging (https://github.com/hanke/sigar/tree/debian) and I
>> forked that (https://github.com/tfmoraes/sigar/tree/debian), but I
>> didn't have time to work in it.
>
> Is there any reason not to use
>
>   git.debian.org/git/debian-med/sigar

Because sigar is using github.

> (or any other location at git.debian.org because it is not really Debian
> Med centric)?  I mean finally it does not matter where the repository is
> located but having everything Debian packaging related at debian.org
> makes perfectly sense to me (and BTW has actual technical advantages for
> me personally).
>
> So I would really love to push this a bit.  For the future:  If a
> sponsor / mentor finds problems like those you mentioned above in a
> package and you have no idea how to proceed - just ask here.  We are
> interested to move these things foreward.

OK. Thanks!