Re: Fwd: Re: Aw: Bioinformatics course in debian-med - feasibility?

Le Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:59:21PM +0100, Tony Travis a écrit :

> My only concern is that any descriptions about what bioinformatics the
> Raspberry Pi can actually do are presented realistically. I think it's a
> great idea and I'm looking forward to hearing you talk about it in
> Stonehaven. I'm still waiting for my Parallella to be delivered ;-)

Hello Tony and everybdoy,

indeed, the Pi will be of limited use with all the programs that load whole
genomes in the memory, but perhaps you can workaround this by focusing the
teaching on model organisms ?  I am unsure for Arabidopsis, but with luck,
Drosophila or Caenorhabditis could be doable, and in any case, there is a lot of
NGS data on yeast; not to mention all the work in prokaryotes that I am not so
familiar with.

If the teaching examples can be summarised as executable files producing
reproducible output, they could become an interesting regression test for
Debian Med.  This would be particularly useful as we have only limited
experience on doing bioinformatics on ARM platforms, while we do have serious
evidence that some of the programs we distribute are only reliable on amd64
(x86_64).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy