Q-Leap Networks contributes to Debian Med

Hi everyone,

this is just a short intro to let you know that Q-Leap Networks, the
company behind Qlustar (a Debian/Ubuntu based HPC/Storage Cluster
solution) is now entering a closer relationship with the Debian Med
project. I am Roland Fehrenbacher, theoretical physicist
(high-temperature superconductivity) and founder of Q-Leap Networks,
which some of you may recall from Tony's presentation of Qlustar at the
recent Debian Med Sprint. Two weeks ago, Steffen took me along to an NGS
meeting in Rostock and on the way back - a long train ride through 3/4
of Germany - I decided that Q-Leap shall put some tangible effort to its
website promise to support Debian Med.

The initial focus of our effort will be on packaging, i.e. long-term
maintenance of:
 + mpiblast: http://www.mpiblast.org/
 + frealign: http://grigoriefflab.janelia.org/frealign
 + eman2: http://blake.bcm.edu/emanwiki/
 + relion: http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion/index.php/Main_Page
and we will then see how this develops towards data management and
cloud/cluster setups.

We also have a particular interest in backporting to Wheezy as one of our
officially supported platforms, the other is Ubuntu Precise. New to
preparing packages for Debian main, we are still in the learning phase
of all the ever developing tools and web sites out there and how
to match those best with our internal routine.

I am very curious about the kinds of interactions that will develop over
the mailing list and look forward to possibly meet some more of you in
person at your next Sprint. On a side note: Q-Leap employs a Debian
Maintainer (Goswin v. Brederlow) since many years.

Roland

http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com