Re: Re: Acquiring Dental RVG on Linux

On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 08:28:21AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > Yes, it's now closer to a real X ray. The Dr still sees some problems, but
> > I think it will need some experiments with exposure, brightness and
> > contrast.
>
> Typically, there's presets for those but as a doctor one always plays
> with them such settings during the diagnostics process.
>
> So, I suppose finding suitable defaults is useful but then
> one should strive to convert the data to a more conventional
> format, say, some DICOM variant and feed that to Orthanc for
> storage and to Ginkgo CADx / Aeskulap / your-favourite-viewer
> for image display. They offer controls for adjusting exposure,
> brightness, and contrast.
>
> I can ascertain one _needs_ to adjust those dynamically :-)

What I am told is, the defaults of the proprietary software are pretty
good and often don't need much adjustment. But with the images we are
getting now we tried in gimp and exposure, brightness, contrast could be
adjusted to get satisfactory view. Probably those settings should be
applied to the image up front (say using ImageMagick or otherwise) -
besides the viewer will have those options.

I am not finding a case for taking pains to convert it to DICOM as long as
I get all the controls over a png - for example with gimp. Some advance
use cases in other walks of radio imaging benefit (3D, playing a sequence
of images etc) but for general dentistry not sure whether we need those.