Dependency of Debian-Med packages on Apache2 web server

Hi,

As you might remember, I have promoted the use of "x2go" for remote bioinformatics desktops running Debian-Med packages. However, it is getting increasingly difficult to obtain SSH access (used by "x2go") through firewalls and MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication) systems.

I'm now running "noVNC" instead, via a reverse proxy using NGINX, but installing "nginx" on a 'clean' install of "med-bio" under Ubuntu-MATE 22.04 forces the removal of packages that depend on "apache2". I have managed to reverse-proxy to "noVNC" from Apache2, but NGINX is the recommended web server to reverse-proxy to "noVNC".

I realise that there are ways of running both Apache2 and NGINX on the same server, but I would like to know what Debian-Med "med-bio" packages *actually* need Apache2 because it requires quite a lot of manual configuration to get e.g. NGINX to use Apache2 as a reverse proxy.

I'd welcome any help or advice about NGINX and Apache2 co-existence.

Thanks,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk