RE: GIFs in program

Gifs are not necessarily non-free.  There is an ungiflib which reads and
writes GIF images.  What IS non-free is the writing on GIF's that use LZW
compression because it is patented.  So if it NEVER writes any GIF's you are
safe.  if it writes gifs but not compressed gifs you are also safe.  If it
writes compressed LZW GIFs you are not safe and the software is in violation of
a software patent.