binary-indep and binary-arch

Jens Ritter writes:

 > As I constantly run into problem when my packages are build on non
 > i386, I would like to ask if this is ok:
 >
 > I have got a multi binary package (kbackup) which splits into
 >
 > kbackup (Architecture: all --- a shell script)
 > kbackup-multibuf (any --- a C program)
 > kbackup-doc (all --- html documentation)
 >
 > Currently I build the html from TeX sources and multibuf in the build
 > target.
 >
 > I tweaked the installation routine supplied by the upstream sources
 > to install everything in debian/tmp and split of the multibuf program
 > and man-page by using mv. This happens in the binary-indep target.
 >
 > Is this ok?

No.

 > If not, how am I supposed to do it?

If only the binary-indep or binary-arch targets are built, then you
have different files in debian/tmp (the frst package). Have a look at
the debhelper example files. They have a build target (as before) and
install target where the files are installed and move to other temp
directories. The both binary targets then depend on build and install.