Re: .diff question

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Fernando Sanchez wrote:

> First, to compile ocaml I need to call "make install" (in 'rules' file) in
> the following way for it to install binaries where it has to:
>
> $(MAKE) install BINDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/bin \
> LIBDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/lib/ocaml MANDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/man/man1
>
> of course everything works fine, but this way no change is made to original
> Makefiles and it's not reflected in .diff file generated with source
> package. In Debian-policy it is stated that every change which is made to
> sources in order to install properly on Debian systems should be reflected
> in the .diff file and I don't know if it's very important or will be ok if I
> compile this way.
>
> I can arrange it to have a totally complete .diff but this way it's much
> easier and 'cleaner', IMO. What should I do?

The way you're doing it is correct (although you may be able to use
prefix, PREFIX, or DESTDIR to shorten your install line, esp. if the
software uses automake/autoconf)

> Second question; after dpkg-buildpackage, I call lintian -v -i foobar.changes
> and it returs the following error:
>
> E: ocaml: script-without-interpreter usr/lib/ocaml/camlheader_ur
> N:   This file starts with the #! sequence that identifies scripts, but it
> N:   does not name an interpreter.
>
> That file starts with #! and it's not a script; in fact, camlheader_ur
> contains only this string and nothing else and is used by some other ocaml
> libraries. Is this interpreted as a fatal error and does it prevent me from
> contributing it to Debian, or is not too much important?

This is primarily a warning, if it is correct for your program to have
this it is nothing to warn about, send a note to the lintian maintainer
and ask to have an override added.