Re: problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

"Oscar" == Oscar Levi <elf@buici.com> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 02:38:16AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> It is bad advice for someone asking help about fakeroot to tell
>> them to also use sudo or super.  Pick one and one only.

> I read that he needed to have root priviledges as I have when
> creating packages.  I didn't see him asking for help with fakeroot.

I read that he had a problem with /usr/sbin not being on his path. ;)

> When I tried it, I saw it changing the permissions and ownership of
> my sample file.  On trying it again, it doesn't.  I'd guess I was in
> a root shell, but I remember trying to run the commands with and
> without fakeroot and seeing an error when I didn't.  Oh well.
> Fakeroot looks like a fine tool for avoiding permission denied
> errors.

Yes; well eveyone needs some level of 'root'ness when creating .debs,
since files in debs, by policy, should be owned by root.  fakeroot
lets you pretend a file is owned by root without bothering to su and
all that.