Re: automatic dependencies question

Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> Did you install your own libgtk without using packages? The only way
> dpkg-shlibdeps (the package that figures out the shared library
> dependancies) can know how to set up a shared library dependancy is if
> a file /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.shlibs exists that defines a dependancy
> for libgtk.

I have installed using the debs created from CVS. Another program I am
packing (my first attempt to pack anything, by the way, links against
libgtk and libvdk) reports corectly the dependencies. Here is what
langdrill reports:

Depends: libc6, libglib-cvs-1.1 (=19981212.01), libgtk-cvs-1.1
(=19981212.05), libstdc++2.9, libvdk1, xlib6g (>= 3.3-5)

The libvdk1, build on the same system reports only:

Depends: libc6, libstdc++2.9

Is there something I am forgetting to do ?
(If needed, I can post my control and rules files to those willing to
take a deeper look at what I'm doing (wrong).)

> Since there are no gtk+ 1.1.7 .debs out yet (1.1.9 .debs are building
> right now) I'll assume you installed your own, and thus you don't have
> a shlibs file for 1.1.7 in /var/lib/dpkg/info/, as there is no package
> for them to depend on. :)
>
> Please wait until I release 1.1.9 .debs.

Glad to hear that 1.1.9 are on the way. As I have pointed out, it seems
that I'm doing something else wrong. I will wait anyhow for 1.1.9 and
see if the problem is still there. (By the way, I have used the scripts
from libglib 1.1.3 as a guide in creating my own rule file for libvdk1).

TIA,

Ionutz