question on interaction between net-base and replacement daemons

I am preparing to package oidentd, a replace for the default identd.  The app
will package nicely because it is well written.  My question is: how do I cope
w/ the existing identd?  I expect that users installing this would prefer it
over identd.  Is simply placing a call to update-inetd enough?  First remove
the existing identd and replace it w/ oidentd?  I can not use alternatives
because oidentd's behavior depends on command line options.