Re: upstream author == debian maintainer

Sami Dalouche <samid@ifrance.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 05:52:10PM +0300, Alex Shnitman wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 09:32:08PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> >
> > > 1) I am the author of program I am packaging. To save myself
> > > some work, I have packaged it as a native debian package. Is this
> > > allowed? (There was some discussion about it a long time ago,
> > > and it seemed possible to do so)
> >
> > IANAD [I am not a developer] but it looks to me that if the program is
> > useful for the general public (not only Debian users) it's better to
> > not make it a native debian package -- what if someone else takes
> > maintenance of it when you don't have time anymore; will it need to be
> > converted?

You can hit two flys at once when you use automake and others and make
the package a native debian package. People can build the package just
like any other source using make or they can build a debian package
using debuild. And if someone takes over, he should certainly do
debian packages as well.

> Some packages have a spec. file to build an RPM in standard. Why can't we do
> it with a debian/ directory ?

We have, its called debian/rules. Or do you mean something else?

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin