Dummy package question using apt-get source

Dummy package question.

So I build a package with debuild and all seems well.

I dupload it to unstable, and the package seems well.

I can install it from unstable, to my local machine....ok.

It works fine...but when I try to apt-get source ean13 --compile

I get the source unpacked fine, but the script dies with
  dpkg --build debian/tmp ..
  dpkg-deb: building package `ean13' in `../ean13_0.4-3_i386.deb'.
  dpkg-genchanges -b
  dpkg-genchanges:
  binary-only upload - not
  including any source code
  dpkg-buildpackage: no source included in upload

Horse hockey....it unpacked the source just fine, and I can
enter the directory ean13-0.4 and use debuild to create another
identical deb.

So I muss and fuss, read the packageing manual again....and I cant
seem to see why the package will not compile automagically with apt.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I am lost...

---
Jim Westveer <jwest@netnw.com>
I get to work, flip the excuse page over:
  Alpha particle migration.
Fair enough, looks like it's gointo be a good day.
E-Mail: Jim Westveer <jwest@netnw.com>
phone   425-392-0141
fax     425-557-0660                  Date: 02-Sep-99
URL     lcs.issaquah.wa.us            Time: 14:02:17
Random number = DC 49 E8 7E 76 DD 30 2D 8D F1 B4 D8 A3 60 4C 04