Re: Packaging questions (cricket)

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 07:00:37PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Since logrotate is not essential, I will have to depend on it somehow.  While
> log rotation is not required for the package to be functional, its logging is
> pretty verbose, and if left unattended the logfile can grow quite large (I use
> Cricket extensively at work, and my configuration generates about 24mb of
> logfiles per week).  Should I Recommend or Suggest logrotate?  Recommend
> seems more appropriate to me, so that the unwary do not have their
> disks filled.

No clue what more official sources will say, but a comment from a user's
perspective.

Dselect basically forces Recommends down the users' throats.  It will also
insist on that Recommends with every future run of "dselect select" IIRC.

I got tired of that insistence after a week or so and removed a few
packages causing the insistence in a few cases.  It's certainly food for
thought for other package maintainers.

A Recommends is much too strong for what you have in mind, IMO.  As a
package maintainer, I'd request that you experiment with the behavior
of "dselect select" after installing your package, but not installing
the various Recommends'ed packages (logrotate in this example) to get
a feel for what your future users will be up against.

And before anyone says "dselect is no longer used" let me ask what other
console applications allow the end user to see all of the available
information about a package before making installation decisions?
(Example: apt-find from the console-apt package doesn't provide a way to
view Suggests, Recommends, Provides, etc. information.)  "dselect select"
is still the only available tool for such, AFAIK, and is also the only
such tool guaranteed to be available to the new user even during initial
install, AFAIK.

--
Please encrypt all (non-list) mail whenever possible.  The following Public
Keys for <debianlists@overdue.dhis.org> are available upon request:

  Type    Bits/KeyID    Fingerprint        (GnuPG (GPG) is preferred.)
GPG/ELG:  768g/5095C415 0955 7529 A00C D36A AF9A  1CB0 2486 D841 DAF9 35B4
GPG/DSA: 1024D/DAF935B4 (none for DSA keys)
GPG/ELG:  768g/300B8C2F C539 C343 9C6C 9FC5 4EDB  E772 0078 4A17 A119 1927
GPG/DSA:  768D/A1191927 (none for DSA keys)