Re: porting a package

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

> I dont think the build demons will pick up non-main packages in the near
> future, but maybe we could have a quinn-diff running on contrib and the
> non-* directories, so that we at least know when something is not up to
> date. And somebody could step forward and build packages which were released
> as source and non-i386.debs?

Currently, Alpha has a mailing list that's like a quinn-diff "on
steroids" that gives the Alpha porters a list of what's different between
i386 and alpha.  We usually work from that rather than rely on
debian-devel-changes.  It might help to have someone set up a list
providing a similar service for i386.

> Or is it the responsibility of the source
> maintainer to find somebody to build it for other arches?

This is a grey area, from what I can tell.  Since I only own Alphas, I
usually coordinate my package releases with people from the other arch
lists to get my main package built.  This is easier for me, though, since
I'm dealing with binutils (thus, the gcc and glibc maintainers help in
that regard).

In my opinion, it's best for the maintainers to compile their own packages
on other arches if possible (using the many build hosts that Debian has on
the net) and just ask for testing from the arch lists prior to uploading
the new package(s).  If it's not possible for the maintainer to build it
on another arch, though, it's better to find someone to help you on a
regular basis with building on other archs (a request here on -mentors
usually generates alot of such support).