program without version

I am trying to package a program, which does not have version number
(author says in README:  Warning - this is an unnumbered early beta)
Apart from the warning, it works fine and without problems.
Now what number should have a debian package?

I will probably go for 0beta-1 (debhelper cannot digest just beta-1)
unless somebody has a better idea.

btw IANADY (I am not a developer yet), but hopefully this will be
sponsored...

| __..--^^^--..__         garabik @ fmph.uniba.sk           |