Re: vrweb, newbie maintainer/developer

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 03:13:03PM +0800, Paul Harris wrote:
> i have agreed to take VRweb off Fabien Ninoles' hands, and have been
> successful in making it work under my Potato system! woo hoo!
>
> however, i have no idea what the next steps are:
>
> - What is the technique to rediff a package for the debian diff?

What do you mean?

> - Why is dpkg-source complaining about:
> 	$ dpkg-source -x vrweb_1.5-2.dsc
> 	dpkg-source: error: Expected ^@@ in line 679 of diff
>   is this some sort of bug? seemed to work earlier... i just untared and
>   patched it myself

How did you make the diff? You should have did this:

fakeroot debian/rules clean; cd .. ; dpkg-source -b vrweb-<version>/

> - Where are the FMs on the debian/rules stuff? I'd just like to make sure
>   it works after i get that diff thing going.

The Packaging Manual. Basically, you need these rules: clean, binary,
binary-arch, binary-indep.

> - How do I accept vrweb as mine? Do I need to get a sponser or something?

Set the Maintainer: field in the control file. If you aren't a registered
developer, yes, you need a sponsor.

> - How do I wack it on the debian mirror and all that?

If you're developer, use dupload(1), if not, sponsor will do that for you.

> look at fixing bug #29078: package vrweb depends on library libg++272. is
> this really a bad thing?

Yes, that's an obsolete library.

> *       libg++.so.2.7.2 => /usr/lib/libg++.so.2.7.2 (0x400d6000)
> *       libstdc++.so.2.7.2 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2 (0x4010e000)
> and mine (the working! one):
> *       libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 => /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 (0x400d6000)

Your one is okay. Or even better, libstdc++2.10.

> the *s indicate difference between the two. now, why doesn't the old one
> work? the libraries they were compiled for may be different, but won't it
> work with the old libc stuff installed? should i even bother thinking
> about this since the new compile works? i only ask as other people seem to
> have problems with their old libc5 stuff... maybe the same problem is
> suffered here... would this help anyone to debug it?

As long as it works with newest non-obsolete libraries, you shouldn't
care much :)

BTW, these questions ought to be asked on debian-mentors list, debian-devel
is inappropriate.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name