Re: How to modify /etc/services?

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 05:18:31PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 04:29:26PM -0700, Seth R Arnold wrote:
> > If I am not mistaken, since it is a conffile for netstd, other packages are
> > forbidden from doing anything with it? I think the proper response is: get
> > Maintainer: Anthony Towns <ajt@debian.org> to include your service in
> > /etc/services, then your package depends on a specific version of netstd.
> >
> > [how did I do? :]
> >
> > As for an actual method, probably making a tmp file of what you would like
> > to add to it, copying the existing one someplace, then catting the two of
> > them back together to /etc/services.
>
> you can use
> update-inetd --file /etc/services --add 'name         port/tcp # comment'
>
> however, be aware that /etc/services can be overwritten when you upgrade
> netstd.

update-inetd allows you to do this but policy does not!

Look in /var/lib/dpkg/info/netbase.conffiles -- /etc/services is a conffile
of netbase and *no package* may modify it from their maintainer scripts
(and that includes netbase itself).

update-inetd actually allows you to modify any file you like.
That doesn't mean you should though.

thanks
Hamish
--