Re: dev and dbg packages

"Ionutz" == Ionutz Borcoman <borco@borco-ei.eng.hokudai.ac.jp> writes:
> Hi, I want to package the VDK libs. But I have to take a decission:
> how to make the dbg package.

First off, this is all described in the Packaging Manual.

> The VDK, if compiled with "-g -DVDKDEBUG" can provide additional
> information, like the activity of the garbage collector (gc),
> regardless of statically or dynamically linkage. Also, dynamically
> linking with these libs, I am still able to browse through the libs
> with ddd when debuging.

Well, actually, I think you're only confusing the issue with
'-DVDKDEBUG'.  -dbg is for versions of libraries which debugging
symbols exposed so that problems may be debugged.  Compiling with a
different define, at least in my opinion, lowers the usefulness of the
-dbg package since it's actually different (i.e., a bug for libfoo
might not show up in libfoo-dbg, since different *code* may be
included.).

> So please tell me what am I missing here (aka why debugging works
> also on shared libs) and how should I organise my packages:
> a. libvdk1: shared libs, no debug info
> libvdk-dev: include files, conflicts libvdk-dev, require libvdk1
                                              ^^^
                                              dbg

Also, provide the .so link and the .a (static lib) -- see the
Packaging manual.

> libvdk-dbg: static libvdk.a
> with -g -DVDKDEBUG, conflicts libvdk-dbg, require libvdk-dev

Again, I would suggest not bothering with '-DVDKDEBUG'.

> or

> b. libvdk1: shared libs, no debug info libvdk-dev: include files
> libvdk-dbg: static AND SHARED libs with -g -DVDKDEBUG, conflicts
> with libvdk1, libvdk-dev, provides libvdk, libvdk-dev

Actually, I'm not sure whether the -dbg needs to generally conflict
with the -dev packages (I hope not), and or whether it generally
includes both shared and static versions with debugging info.

You'd have to check some other -dbg packages.