Version numbers with dates

Hi,

I'm sure this is an FAQ. But can I use a version number like:

1.6.20001010-1

and then later on

1.7-1

with success? I want to package something based on date (development
snapshot) but w/o epochs (as I'm not sure where to start the epoch and how
to drop it later). I tried these examples with dpkg --compare-versions and
they were fine, but I also found out that I could have

	1.6-20001010-1 < 1.6-20001010-2

and that confused me, because I though that shouldn't work w/o epochs?! If
that works, why are the KDE packages using an epoch (4) instead of just
2.0-DATE-DEBIANRELEASE? I'd rather use VERSION-DATE-DEBIANRELEASE if it will
work everywhere.

Thanks,
YA
--
My opinions do not necessarily reflect my company's.
The opposite is also true.