Re: Installing files in /etc

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 04:54:17PM -0600, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> I've being packaging a program which has a config file. The program uses
> autoconf and all the ${bindir}, ${libdir}, etc. type variables. dh_make
> produced a debian/rules that worked almost right out of the box b/c it
> overloaded the prefix value to specify destinations for the install target.
>
> However, ${sysconfdir} is ${prefix}/etc which means using that would place
> config files into /usr/etc. I assume that autoconf doesn't provide a
> variable for /etc b/c it is the same on all UNIXs. However, just installing
> straight to /etc would not work with debuild.
>
> My only thoughts are an evil hack where I edit debian/rules to have
> $(MAKE) install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr etcdir=`pwd`/debian/tmp/etc
> and then use ${etcdir} for the config file install directory with it
> defaulting to /etc in the Makefile.in.
>
> Modifying the Makefile.in and configure.in extensively are no problems since
> the upstream maintainer sits right next to me. ;-) What's the correct
> procedure?

Try:
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

and then

$(MAKE) install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr sysconfdir=`pwd`/tmp/etc

$(sysconfdir) is auto{conf|make}'s /etc directory.

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>
    Second year Computer Science, RMIT   |   CS108 Tutor (Semester 2, 2000)